Saturday, January 7, 2012

Old News and a New Year

This quilt is about 20 years old.  One of my customers from work had started it for her son's graduation gift.  Once she found out that I was a quilter, she asked if I would take a look at it and see if I could finished it for her.  Her son asked about it for many years and finally gave up asking.  She thought it would be a really fun surprise to have it finished to give to him.
The binding was already on and the star was mostly done and quilted by hand. 


Now days, it would be quilted closer together but, the pattern that went with this showed it to be quilted at 1/4 from the seams (more comforter style to me).  The red fabric was a bit scary...it didn't let the needle go through smoothly.  It took me a while to figure out that quilting at the table was the best way to go.  I've never done a project quite like this before and I hope to never do another like it again.  It was quite a learning experience.  (my sister says I need to practice saying NO)
She was happy with it and plans to give it to him for his birthday.  I can't wait to hear what he says about it after all these years.

Hope everyone had a happy new year!
I have checked my list for the new year and checked it twice.

Last year was a success!
I finished 24 quilts and only started 17!
That means my UFO list is actually getting shorter!
(a little pat on my own back here)

I am beginning 2012 with 67 UFOs
9 of which the tops are already done
I'm hoping to get enough done so that next year I can print them on one page not 2. LOL
I figure that after working on the hand quilting, I should be able to tackle some of my own quilts that are a bit challenging.
Good Luck in your new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment